Tools and basic info for starting

Today a new basic post about what we need to start. You already know pencils and all grades (for fashion drawing you will need only the “B” pencils: from B to 8B or 9B, depending on the country that produces them.) Pencil brands that we would recommend are: Koh-i-noor, Staedtler, Faber Castell, Toison d’Or.

Paper formats:

– landscape

– portrait

All the time we give the dimensions following this rule: WIDTH x HEIGHT. So if you receive a brief when doing a collection and the dimensions are 210 x 297 mm (meaning 21 x 29.7 cm), it is for sure a portrait format. If you receive the following dimensions : 297 x 210 mm, this mean the format is landscape. A 4 formats: Many paper size standards and conventions have existed at different times and in different countries, but today there is one widespread international ISO standard (including A4, B3, C4, etc.), versus a localized standard used in North America (with: letter, legal, ledger, etc). The paper sizes affect writing paper, stationery, cards, or some printed documents. The standards also have related sizes for the envelopes.

A 4 is 210 x 297 mm
A 3 is 420 x 297 mm

See the connection between them? So 2 x A4 is A3 and so on.

Each time we double the small side and then we can find the right dimensions of paper. Be careful at the name of the paper sizes: A4 is smaller than A3, even the number itself (4) it’s bigger than the other one (3). Please see the following sketch, print it and have it near for the future exercises. There is no need to learn it by heart. All you have to know is how you obtain all dimensions starting from the A4 page size.

This entry was posted in tools and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tools and basic info for starting

1. wilson says:

hi Avram, my name is wilson, i visited ur wedsite , it’s really interesting, i really love fashion, but my shading skill is not good, i have some question wanna ask u, can u help me….
    …..Thanks…..

• fashion-teaching.com says:

yes, sure. please write here your questions and i will reply.
      thank you for your kind words!
      ioana

• Wilson says:

Ure so kind, i wanna ask u about how can i use water color , i do not know how to use it, i try to make shading by water color but i do not know how to use it, can u give me some advise ….
        …. Thanks for ur help….

• fashion-teaching.com says:

in any technique it goes like this:
          for example you have a red object and the light comes from left, upper part. then in the right part the red color will be combined with yellow and orange, and in the shadow part- meaning the right side of the object, the red color will be combined with purple, green and blue.
          so, always keep in mind that the colors must be combined on the light side with warm colors: red, yellow, orange, and on the dark side with dark, cold colors like: green, blue and purple.

as about the watercolor technique, take a look at my paintings here: https://www.youtube.com/user/FashionTeaching/videos?view=0&flow=grid
          and try to paint after my illustrations. you will learn a lot i hope:)

also, keep on writing me if you have questions! thank you and good luck!

2. cc says:

Request: A video of you introducing your favorite tools (and their merits/purpose maybe?) :)

All my life I’ve only ever use HB and 2B pencils. I’ve always side-eye HB because they’re extremely thin, and I have no concept whatsoever on their purpose of creation, lol. Maybe I should googleducate myself on these types of pencil, as it dawned on me that maybe HB can actually help me on fast, sketching that can easily be traced and erased afterwards (or am I wrong?).

Have a nice illustrating day.

• fashion-teaching.com says:

hello
      i always use 8B or at least 6B pencils for a nice effect.
      i suggest you should try these more often because you can obtain more contrast and you modulated line will be stronger. just try and send me then your works on:
      fashionteaching@gmail.com
      good luck!
      ioana

3. saso says:

thank you very much for the videos and site it is very helpful

4. Archana says:

this website and your youtube channel is very useful for me. thank u so much.
    can u please tell me which markers i should use ?